Monday, May 4, 2009

A Modest Proposal 2009


I can't believe I'm going to write about this because it has to do with Octomom and the more we talk about her the more notoriety and attention she gets (and does not deserve, I believe).

But I'm watching KTLA news right now and saw yet another story about that crazy lady, just when we thought Swine Flu or the N1H1 virus of the piggy wiggy sicky or whatever the hell they're calling it now had wiped out all mention of Mommo Octo. I got a blog post idea.

Some lady is speaking out in protest of the Octomom getting her own reality TV show. I wasn't really paying attention to what she was saying but I'm pretty sure I agree with her. I was too distracted by the lower-third C.G. that listed her as "Accuses Octomom of Exploiting Babies."

Hmmmm. Exploiting Babies.

Anyone ever read "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift in 1729? I think Tom Sparks talked about it in our presentation on satire --- I'm not sure though I wasn't paying attention. Haha :)

Well from what I recall from High School Advanced Composition class, Swift wrote a hauntingly believable idea to help the economic problems of 18th Century Ireland by suggesting that everyone eat their own children. While he noted himself that he had no intention of executing this horrific plan, his essay did a frighteningly good job at proving that it would work.

Hence all the times you might see some people joke about "eating babies" as one of their hobbies listed on Facebook.

Now if Mr. Swift were alive today, maybe he'd have this suggestion for our society today to help our economy (or, for our purposes, the newspaper industry).

It would not be eating babies. It would be exploiting babies.

Newspapers who are struggling to make the shift to online publications would financially could exploit babies to help money. Newspapers could adopt a bunch of babies and put them all in a warehouse, swearing that they will take good care of them. Then, one of the TV networks dying for new reality TV show material would pay the newspapers to make a show about a newspaper organization

Think about it. It would take all these orphaned babies out of orphanages hands and then people who were anti-abortion could put their babies up for adoption by a newspaper company. Now if you're wondering, "Well only one newspaper company would benefit from one reality TV show." But then the answer is a competition reality show where all the newspaper companies show how well they can take care of the babies. It would be like American Idol. The weird thing is, people would TOTALLY watch it. If people are going to watch A Shot of Love with Tila Tequila they will definitely watch Be My Babies hosted by Dan Rather. Hey, it seems to working for Mommo Octo.

Oh my god, did I really just write all this? I think I need sleep.

Oh sweet Friends is on!

No comments: